Charles Dickens turns 2oo today! In honor of the his birthday, we’d like to share a few weird-but-true facts about the great man’s life:
1. Young Charles’ father was thrown into a debtor’s prison, and Charles, just aged 12, had to quit school and go work in a shoe-polish factory to help support the family. Sounds like a plot straight out of a Dickens novel, does it?
2. He was first published in 1933 – when he was just 21 years old.
3. He was an avid theatre-goer, wrote some plays himself, and even performed in front of Queen Victoria.
4. There are at least 22 film version of A Christmas Carol.
5. Dickens is buried in Westminster Abbey, but he specified in his will that no memorial be built for him. He is buried near George Frederick Handel and Rudyard Kipling.
(We think the party hat is a good look for Dickens – don’t you?)